Plein Air West Reading 2020
Now in the 26th year, Art on the Avenue is Berks County’s largest art-related event The one-day street festival typically draws 15,000+ visitors to Penn Avenue and the surrounding area.
Plein Air West Reading (PAWR) began in 2016 with a dozen artists painting scenes along Penn Avenue. Five years later, it has grown to become the keystone attraction of Art on the Avenue and the premiere fine art event for the entire county. The “open registration” format helps attract local artists who may be new to the concept of painting en plein air, or “in open air.” At the same time, the substantial prize pool and refreshingly informal format draw outstanding talents from a half dozen states as well as the surrounding counties.
Originally co-sponsored with the West Reading Community Revitalization Foundation, PAWR2020 will be sponsored by Art Plus Gallery, a 501(c)(3) non-profit artist cooperative.
The Broad Brush
- Registration is $40, and the field will be limited to 50 artists. Details on demos, activities and any additional awards will be provided to registered artists in May.
- Paint Wed-Fri (6/17-19) ANYWHERE in Berks County.
- Intake will be Friday afternoon, noon-2:00. Submit up to 3 pieces. All must be framed and wired for hanging.
- There will be two top awards of $1000 each: One judged Best Overall (sponsored by the Berks Art Alliance), and a second for Best West Reading Scene. Plus:
Second Place: $700
Third Place: $400
Honorable Mentions (2): $200
People Choice: $100 (may be given to piece that has also received another award)
(Additional awards for area- and subject-specific artwork may be offered)
- Awards will be presented at the Patrons Preview Party Friday evening at the theater at 603 Penn Avenue.
- All submitted artwork must be for sale. Sales will be subject to a 30% commission, which will be considered a donation to Art Plus Gallery, a 501(c)(3) non-profit art gallery.
- On Saturday morning, the Plein Air West Reading exhibit moves to a large tent as the showcase event in Art on the Avenue.
Participating artists are encouraged to help co-host the exhibit and talk with visitors about their art.
- The People’s Choice Award will be presented at the tent at 6:30pm.
- NEW FOR 2020: Extended Showing! Remaining unsold artwork will be displayed in the featured exhibit wing of Art Plus Gallery, or in one of the gallery’s nearby restaurant showcases, through the remainder of June and July 4th weekend. (Artists NOT wanting to participate in this extended exhibit will be able to take their work at the end of the Saturday festival.)
Registration is full!
Art on the Avenue
Plein Air West Reading dovetails into the borough’s Art on the Avenue festival. Now in it’s 26th year, Art on the Avenue is one of Berks County’s premier family festivals, showcasing fine arts and crafts made by local artists, as well as live music, within Berks County’s most vibrant hub for arts, culture, shopping, and dining. The one-day, mid-June event typically draws over 15,000 visitors.Event Judge:
Dan Graziano is an award winning, nationally exhibited artist known for paintings that capture the hidden beauty found in the unexpected places and fleeting moments of everyday life. Incorporating dramatic light, shadow, color and perspective, his urban compositions feature the visual diversity of time worn buildings and multiple layers of decay, renewal and adaptation. His work reflects strength, authenticity and influences by American realists John Singer Sargent, Edward Hopper and the three generations of Wyeths along with California artists Wayne Thiebaud and Richard Diebenkorn.
Dan’s recent exhibitions include:
- Restaurant Life (solo show 2018), Roux & Cyr International Fine Art Gallery, Portland, ME
- Solo Exhibition (2017), Roux & Cyr International Fine Art Gallery, Portland, ME
- 2017 American Impressionist Society Small Works Showcase, Higbee Gallery, Costa Mesa, CA
- National Oil & Acrylic Painters’ Society 2016 International On-Line Exhibition
- “6 Inch Square” (2016), Higbee Gallery, Costa Mesa, CA
- “Root To Bloom” group show (2016), Principle Gallery, Alexandria, VA
- Solo Exhibition (2016), Roux & Cyr International Fine Art Gallery, Portland, ME
These are but a few. Check out the complete list here.