Plein Air West Reading 2018
Wednesday, June 13 through Saturday, June 16, 2018
The 3rd annual Plein Air West Reading (PAWR) exhibition and competition will be the keystone event of Art on the Avenue, West Reading’s popular, one-day art, craft and food festival usually drawing 15,000+ visitors.
- The large PAWR tent will be located at Sixth and Penn Avenues. The tent and/or adjacent facilities will display:
Plein air artwork of scenes anywhere in Berks County, created by participating artists between 6/13 and 6/15. These works, done on canvases stamped at registration, will be judged and awards given.
- A “Meet the Artists” exhibit of recent Plein Air pieces and accompanying bios of participating artists. These can be scenes from anywhere, not just Berks County. This exhibit will be open from 6/13 through 6/16, allowing visitors to get to know more about the participating artists. They may be offered for sale, but will not be part of the judged competition.
- An exhibit of Plein Air artwork done by local students
First Place: $1000
Best West Reading Scene: $1000
Second Place: $700
Third Place: $400
Honorable Mentions (2): $200
People Choice Award: $100 (may be given to a piece that has also received another award)
The Plein Air competition will be judged by Pittsburgh-based artist Ron Donoughe. An acclaimed Plein Air painter, Ron is best known for his spirited realistic landscapes of Western Pennsylvania, which can be found in many corporate and private collections as well as in the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, The Westmoreland Museum of American Art and The University Museum at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He is the founder of Plein Air Painters of Western Pennsylvania, has been featured among “Today’s Masters” by Fine Art Connoisseur magazine, and has been a juror for plein air competitions in Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Fredericksburg, VA.
The competition is tentatively limited to the first 50 artists to register. The event administrators reserve the right to increase the number of participants.
A non-refundable registration fee of $40.00 can be paid online at www.pleinairwestreading.com, or by mailing a completed registration form (the last page of this document) and a check made out to WRCRF, to: WRCRF, 500 Chestnut St., West Reading, PA 19611
Plein Air West Reading (PAWR) will include a competition open to all artists 18 and over working in all art media exclusive of photography. Artists under the age of 18 may participate in the judged competition with the permission of a parent, guardian or teacher. The non-refundable registration fee is a $40.00 entitles the artist to paint/draw any or all days of the event, and to enter up to three pieces in the judged competition.
Only work completed between Wednesday, June 13 and Friday, June 15, 2018 will be considered for judging.
- Check-in: Canvases and other surfaces must be stamped at check-in. Artwork submitted on an unstamped surface will not be accepted. You may have stamped as many surfaces as you anticipate using, but may submit no more than three pieces into the competition.
- Subject Matter: Subjects may include landscapes, wildlife, streetscapes, architecture, people etc. in any outdoor setting in Berks County, Pennsylvania. All work must be original and be created primarily on location. It is permissible to fine tune the work in the studio. PAWR organizers reserve the right to not display work that is not produced within these guidelines or that is otherwise deemed inappropriate.
- Media: Any medium used to create 2-D art–oils, acrylics, watercolors, pencil, pastel, charcoal, fabric etc.–is acceptable. Variances may be allowed with the permission of the event organizers.
- Size & Number Of Submissions: Each artist may submit a maximum of three pieces, on stamped surfaces only. Maximum size is 30”, including frame, along the longest edge.
- Framing & Hanging: All 2-D work entered must be submitted wired, labeled and otherwise ready for hanging. Framing is advisable but not mandatory.
Demos by judge Ron Donoughe and other artists are being planned for Friday and Saturday. More details on these as well as the following schedule will be provided at check-in:
Wed., 6/13: Check-in will be at Art Plus Gallery, 604 Penn Avenue, West Reading, PA 19611, beginning at 9:00AM. You may have all of your surfaces stamped at that time. At check in, you may also bring a completed piece of recent Plein Air art, plus a one-page bio, for the separate “Meet the Artists” exhibition that will be open to the public throughout the event.
Paint anywhere in Berks County for the next 3 days. Hold completed pieces for Friday intake.
Thurs., 6/14: If you need additional surfaces stamped on Thursday or Friday, Art Plus Gallery will be open both days from noon until 8:00PM.
Friday, 6/15: Deliver your entries to Art Plus Gallery. Intake will be from noon to 4:00PM. Artwork delivered after 4:00 PM may not be included in the judging. Each submission must be delivered wired, labeled and ready to hang.
The juried work will be set up in an exhibit near Art Plus Gallery, and judged. Awards will be presented at 7:00 PM. Specifics on the awards presentation will be provided at check-in.
Saturday, 6/17: The exhibit will be relocated to the Plein Air West Reading tent at Sixth and Penn Avenues, and opened to the public at 11:00AM.
The exhibit will close at 5:00PM on Saturday, June 16. All unsold work must be removed by 6:00PM.
SALES & COMMISSIONS: At the artist’s discretion, any piece created during the competition may be offered for sale during the event. A commission of thirty percent (30%) will be charged for each piece sold during the event.
SUBMISSIONS: Each registered artist may hang up to three pieces in the judged competition, plus an additional piece in the Meet the Artists Exhibit. Maximum size is 30”, including frame, on the longest side.
Artists are responsible for printing their own labels, which should be taped to the back of frame so it can be unfolded at the lower right corner as shown:
Title of Artwork
Recommended Font: 14 pt. Arial, centered