Plein Air West Reading 2018
Wednesday, June 13 through Saturday, June 16, 2018
INTRODUCTIONThe 3rd annual Plein Air West Reading (PAWR) exhibition and competition will be the keystone event of Art on the Avenue, West Reading Pennsylvania’s popular, one-day art, craft and food festival.
The large PAWR tent will be located at Sixth and Penn Avenues. The tent and adjacent facilities will display:
- Plein air artwork of scenes anywhere in Berks County, created by participating artists between 6/13 and 6/15. These works, done on canvases/surfaces stamped at registration, will be judged and awards given.
- An exhibit of plein air artwork done by local students.
- A “Meet the Artists” exhibit of recent artwork and accompanying bios of participating artists at 602 Penn Ave will be open 6/13 through 6/16.
- Eligibility: The competition is open to all artists 18 and over working in all art media exclusive of photography. Artists under the age of 18 may participate in the judged competition with the permission of a parent, guardian or teacher.
- Check-in of registered artists will begin at 9:00Am on Wed., 6/13 at 602 Penn Avenue. Canvases and other surfaces must be stamped at check-in. You may have stamped as many surfaces as you anticipate using, but may submit no more than three pieces into the competition. Artwork submitted on an unstamped surface will not be accepted.
- Subject Matter: Subjects may include landscapes, wildlife, streetscapes, architecture, people etc. in any outdoor setting in Berks County, Pennsylvania. All work must be original and be created primarily on location. It is permissible to fine tune the work in the studio. PAWR organizers reserve the right to not display work that is not produced within these guidelines or that is otherwise deemed inappropriate.
- Media: Any medium used to create 2-D art–oils, acrylics, watercolors, pencil, pastel, charcoal, fabric etc.–is acceptable. Variances may be allowed with the permission of the event organizers.
- Submissions will be accepted on Friday, 9:00AM-3:00PM, wired and ready to hang. Submissions made later than this, or delivered unwired, may not be included in the judged competition.
- Size & Number Of Submissions: Each artist may submit a maximum of three pieces, on stamped surfaces only. Maximum size is 30”, including frame, along the longest edge.
- Framing & Hanging: All 2-D work entered must be submitted wired and otherwise ready for hanging. Framing is advisable but not mandatory.
- Labels will be handwritten as part of the submission form that you will fill out when submitting your artwork on Friday.
PAWR reserves the right to disqualify any entry that does not adhere to the rules and guidelines of the contest, or that is deemed objectionable. All decisions of PAWR are considered final.
THE HUB AT 602
Art Plus Gallery will be taking over the next door space at 602 Penn Avenue for the week, thanks to the generosity of Say Cheese restaurant, which recently acquired the property for a future expansion of their retail operation.
From Wed, 6/13 through Saturday, a pop-up gallery in this space will house a “Meet the Artists” exhibit of one piece of artwork and an accompanying bio from each participating artist. Plein air landscapes are recommended but not a requirement. These can be scenes from anywhere, not just Berks County. This exhibit will be open from 6/13 through 6/16, allowing visitors to get to know more about the participating artists. The sample piece you bring may be offered for sale, but will not be part of the judged competition.
During the week, 602 will also serve as a hub where artists can relax, refresh, recharge their phones and access WIFI. The Friday evening awards presentation and the wrap party will be here as well.
First Place: $1000
Best West Reading Scene: $1000
Second Place: $700
Third Place: $400
Honorable Mentions (2): $200
People Choice Award: $100 (may be given to a piece that has also received another award)
The plein air competition will be judged by Pittsburgh-based artist Ron Donoughe. An acclaimed plein air painter, Ron is best known for his spirited realistic landscapes of Western Pennsylvania, which can be found in many corporate and private collections as well as in the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, The Westmoreland Museum of American Art and The University Museum at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He is the founder of Plein Air Painters of Western Pennsylvania, has been featured among “Today’s Masters” by Fine Art Connoisseur magazine, and has been a juror for plein air competitions in Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Fredericksburg, VA.
Thursday, 6/7: Artist registration to participate in PAWR closes at 5:00.
Wednesday, 6/13: Check-in will be at 602 Penn Avenue, West Reading, PA 19611, beginning at 9:00AM. You may have all of your surfaces stamped at that time. At check in, you may also bring a completed piece of art, plus a one-page bio, for the separate “Meet the Artists” exhibition that will be open to the public throughout the event.
Paint anywhere in Berks County for the next 3 days. Hold completed pieces for Friday intake.
Thursday, 6/14: If you need additional surfaces stamped on Thursday or Friday, 602 and/or Art Plus Gallery will be open both days from noon until 8:00PM.
Friday, 6/15: Deliver your entries to 602 Penn Avenue. Intake will be from 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Artwork delivered after 3:00 PM may not be included in the judging. Each submission must be on a surface stamped at check-in, and must be delivered wired and ready to hang. Handwritten labels will be attached to the artwork at the time of submission.
At 6:00 PM the entries will be unveiled in a private wrap party at 602 Penn Avenue. Attendees will be limited to artists and one guest each, event sponsors, and select patrons. Artwork purchased by patrons at this time will remain on display into Saturday.
Awards will be presented at 7:00 PM. The party will wind down at 8:00PM
Saturday, 6/17: The exhibit will be relocated to the Plein Air West Reading tent at Sixth and Penn Avenues, and opened to the public at 11:00AM.
Beginning at 1:00PM, event juror Ron Donoughe will offer a demo near the PAWR tent.
People’s Choice ballots will be accepted through 3:00PM, and the award posted at 4:00. Any piece from the competition is eligible for this award, even if it has received another award.
The exhibit will close at 7:00PM on Saturday, June 16. All unsold work may be removed as early as 6:30, and must be removed by 7:15PM.
SALES & COMMISSIONS: At the artist’s discretion, any piece created during the competition may be offered for sale during the event. A commission of thirty percent (30%) will be charged for each piece sold during the event.
DISCLAIMER: Reasonable care and caution will be taken with all submissions, but Art Plus Gallery, WRCRF and event volunteers are not responsible for loss or damage to any submitted works.