2017 Plein Air West Reading
In the Heart of Art on the Avenue, West Reading, PA
June 17, 2017
The Broad Brush
Plein Air West Reading (PAWR) is open to all artists ages 18 and above working in all 2-D art media exclusive of photography. Artists under the age of 18 may participate with written permission from the event organizers.
The exhibition is tentatively limited to the first 30 artists to register. The event administrators reserve the right to increase the number of participants.
A non-refundable application and registration fee of $10.00 entitles the artist to hang up to two pieces in the exhibit, which will be showcased in a large tent in the 600 block of Penn Avenue during the annual Art on the Avenue festival on 6/17/17.
- The subject criteria: any outdoor scene in or viewable from West Reading, with the work being created entirely or primarily on site. (It’s okay to add finishing touches in your studio.)
- Only hangable artwork created during the 2017 calendar year will be accepted.
- Maximum size is 30” on the longest side, including frame.
- Original artwork only: no prints
- All pieces exhibited by registered artists must be offered for sale.
- Artists are responsible for delivering their artwork ready to hang (with wires, no sawtooth hangers) and labeled per guidelines that will be provided.
- Artwork will not be judged, although there will be several purchase awards. This will be a high visibility, one day exhibition, not a competition.
- All unsold artwork must be removed between 7:00 and 7:30PM that evening (6/17/17).
You must be pre-registered to participate. Art may be brought to Art Plus Gallery, 604 Penn Avenue, West Reading, PA 19611, between 10:00 and 11:00AM, on Saturday, 6/17/17. Artwork brought in after 11:00 cannot be included in the exhibit.
Artwork should be delivered bubble-wrapped, boxed, or otherwise protected prior to the hanging, which will be completed by 11:00AM. If you wish to keep your protective material, please take it with you after your work is hung.
There will be no official judging of entries. There will be several Guaranteed Purchase Awards from patrons who have committed to buying a piece in the exhibit for up to a specified dollar amount. As you check in your art for hanging on 6/17, you will be able to review and select all of the purchase awards for which you wish to be considered.
A gallery commission of thirty percent (30%) will be charged for each piece sold. The commission shall be a donation split by the West Reading Community Revitalization Foundation (WRCRF) and Art Plus Gallery, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Art Plus Gallery, 604 Penn Avenue, West Reading, PA 19611. 610-375-9122
Russ Slocum, co-director. 610-796-0418, firstname.lastname@example.org
Penn Air West Reading is sponsored by the West Reading Community Revitalization Foundation (WRCRF), and Art Plus Gallery, as part of the borough’s annual Art on the Avenue Festival.
Art on the Avenue
2017 Plein Air West Reading will be a keystone event within the borough’s traditional Art on the Avenue festival. Both events are sponsored by the West Reading Community Revitalization Foundation (WRCRF). Now in its 23rd year, Art on the Avenue is one of Berks County’s premier family festivals, showcasing fine arts and crafts made by local artists, as well as live music, within Berks County’s most vibrant hub for arts, culture, shopping, and dining.
Art Plus Gallery
Art Plus is a non-profit, cooperative gallery run by its members, all of whom are artists. The gallery was founded in 1999 with three goals:
- Help local artists display, market and sell their artwork
- Give artists insights into the business side of galleries and developing a career in art
- Connect the community, and especially K-12 students, to art through significant art-related activities.
As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, Art Plus Gallery is funded primarily by the monthly dues of members, commissions from sales of member and guest artists, fundraising activities, and the support of the Friends of Art Plus Gallery.
Art Plus Gallery
604 Penn Ave.
West Reading, PA 19611